Hinsdale County will implement Stage 1 Fire Restrictions in the Upper Piedra and Rio Grande areas of Hinsdale County on Friday, May 20 at noon. At this time there are no restrictions in the northern areas of Hinsdale County, in the Lake City area or along the Alpine Loop.
As part of the Stage 1 Restrictions, using a fire is prohibited except within permanent fire pits or grates on private property or developed recreation sites. Use of explosive materials is prohibited as well as smoking outdoors.
Hinsdale Board of County Commissioners approved fire restrictions during the May 18 BOCC meeting. The restrictions were recommended by Sheriff Chris Kambish and Emergency Manager Phil Graham following announcement of restrictions in San Juan National Forest and Rio Grande National Forest also starting May 20.
Under Stage 1 Fire Restrictions, the following activities are prohibited:
- Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire, campfire, charcoal barbecues/grills or stove fires;
- EXCEPTION: Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, including charcoal, in constructed, permanent fire pits or fire grates within developed recreation sites or on private property is permissible. The use of portable stoves, lanterns using gas, jellied petroleum, pressurized liquid fuel or a fully enclosed (sheepherder type) gas stove or grill with a ¼” spark arrester type screen is also permitted.
- Using explosive materials, including but not limited to, fireworks;
- Smoking, except in an enclosed vehicle, trailer, building or tent, a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable material;
The following activities are permitted:
- Cooking on manufactured liquid fuel and propane grills;
- Campfires in pre-fabricated concrete/metal fire enclosures in established campgrounds (USFS, NPS, privately owned);
- Fires in chiminea type manufactured enclosures on private property; and
- Public fireworks displays authorized by Hinsdale County.
The following persons are exempt from the prohibitions:
- Any local, state, or federal officer, or member of an organized emergency operation (i.e. Fire Department, search and rescue, law enforcement, etc.); and
- Persons with a permit from the Hinsdale County Sheriff’s Department specifically authorizing the otherwise prohibited activity.
Violations of this Resolution shall be punishable according to the penalty and fine provisions contained in the Fire Restrictions resolution.