Contact: Jennifer Peterson, Public Information Officer
Ouray County, Colo. – Due to seasonal high temperatures, worsening dry conditions, and the likely strain on responding wildfire resources, Ouray County will enter Stage 1 Fire Restrictions beginning at 12:01am, Wednesday, June 15. These restrictions will be in place until further notice.
The restrictions apply to the unincorporated county area and do not include the City of Ouray and Town of Ridgway. The stage 1 fire restrictions do not allow open burning of any kind to include agricultural burning, open campfires, and fireworks. Smoking cigarettes outdoors is not allowed, unless in an enclosed vehicle or building or in a developed recreation site. Campfires in a pre-approved campground, State Park/KOA, or enclosed fire pits are permitted. As a reminder, fireworks on publicly managed lands are prohibited.
Penalties for violating the fire ban include: Class-2 petty offense with fines ranging from $100 to $500 depending on the number of offenses. If a fire causes damage to another individual’s property, additional criminal charges may apply.
Please do your part to help prevent a wildfire:
• Keep current on local and regional fire restrictions at www.westslopefireinfo.com
• Obey all fire bans
• Dispose of cigarettes properly
• Never leave a fire unattended
• Be sure your campfire is Dead Out! (cold to the touch)
• Avoid driving on tall grass
• Keep trailer chains from dragging on the ground, this can create sparks